Today I had the great opportunity to stand on the corner of 1st and L.A. and wave a Yes on Prop 8 sign. Wow, is all I have to say. When I got there I was totally relieved that I was going to be standing on the corner with our ward mission leader and his daughter so I felt safe. The night started off with the usual: horns honking in approval and others in disapproval, the occasional middle finger and a guy called us Nazi's. All of that didn't surprise me. It was kind of fun having all the cars looking at us and only us. At one point a car was looking at us and almost didn't make his turn. He almost ran into a light pole:) oops. I think the last time I had all this attention was when I was in high school cheering for sports:) Well, towards the end of the evening we noticed a girl walking across the street toward us. She was a bit over weight, dark died hair that was very short, masculine looking, do you get my picture without me saying it? Great! Well, she walked right up to all three of us and said, "I saw you guys from across the street and I wanted to ask you guys why you hate gays so much that you don't want them to get married?" Well Dan, the ward mission leader, took charge and talked to her. He explained the sanctity of marriage etc. Then I kicked in and explained the 4 activist judges thing and so forth. Well, she didn't want to hear any of that. We should of just said, "Yeah we hate you." Then she would have been satisfied but that isn't the reason we were doing that of coarse. After about 15 minutes of heated talking she finally left. My blood was pumping and I was like wow, we just got confronted by a gay who hates us now. I told Dan to watch her drive away and watch the way she went just to make sure she didn't circle around and shoot us:)
I have to tell you, being from Utah I think CA is crazy. I have never been around so many liberals ever. It makes me miss the bubble of living in Utah, just that it is a different world over here and I'm not sure I like it. You have to have really thick skin to survive here or else I can see how you would go the way of the world. Don't get your hopes up mom and dad we aren't moving back, right now any how. So, that was my experience and I am doing it again next week. Maybe I will have other stories next week on this.
On a lighter side, I am way excited because I am teaching Thriller to my dance class for Halloween:)))))
Cеrіtа ngеntоt ABG bandung semok Enak Nye
7 years ago

6 comments:
WOW that would be scary! I have cousins that have lived in CA there whole life.. and you are right. You do have to be tuff! IT's a different world out there.. Crazy to think that way but it is!
OH man.. Thriller RULES!! I wish we lived there so Kiersten and I could do that! :)
And you call yoursel "non-confrontational?" He He
I can totally relate. When we lived in Ann Arbor (MI-which is a haven of liberals) we were precinct captains for Bush. That was the year that like 30 some odd states had a vote on Gay Marriage and whether to make it Legal. Fortunately, is lost in all states but when they broke down the votes based on counties, Washtenaw County (which Ann Arbor is in) is the ONLY county in the entire US that it passed!
We went around to all the local fairs, etc campaining. Every summer in Ann Arbor there is this Art Fest which attracts all the local kooks (myself included) and anyways...lets just say it was a GOOD time. People would yell at us, steal or signs, stickers, etc and throw them away right in front of us, tell us we will burn in Hell with Bush, one guys started yelling obscenities and tried to spit toward us but it was perfect becuase his spit just landed on his own foot. One thing I found interesting was political profiling. Before the person said anything to us we already knew where they stood. We were right like 99.9% of the time.
Anyhoo, Weston calls himself the Fierce Liberal Fighter. I have been telling him about all you are doing and he said that he will let you borrow his name for the time being. ;) Oooh...maybe I will make you a T-shirt and send it to you.
wow! you are brave to go stand on a corner! i find it very ironic that people who want tolerance feel justified in ENFORCING it. so hypocritical.
I love that you yelled at those kids! I'm sorry you don't feel like you were doing what Jesus would do, though. I think it's ok to stand up for yourself...and it's not like you hit them or something or called them nasty names...you just reminded them of some of the consequences they might have to deal with, right...that's all. haha! i wish i could have seen you!!!
i think it's funny that you are looking for snow and my body is dreading it. it's almost like the sun has lost its warmth! it should hit the mid 60's today and i'm just grateful it's not in the 40's.
bravo on reading brandon's books. they are good, aren't they! way fun and imaginative. i'm way excited for #4 too.
Nice work supporting Prop 8! Don't get too down on California ;) I grew up there and I think it was an important part of defining my faith. Keep up the good fight, Prop 8 is important to everyone :)
Good Job on supporting Prop 8.
So I'm from Utah, Dance and love Michael jackson, who knew we had so much in common. I agree, it is a really different environment here. You probably get it a lot worse in LA then here in Newbury Park. But keep up the good work!
Okay...I can't believe I am sent this logo to you but it is Weston's FLF (fierce liberal fighter) logo. I used to tell him all the time it was white trash but it does give me a good chuckle every now and then. Anyways...I thought you might enjoy it...especially since you are a mother of 2 boys and I'm sure it will make you feel better after one of your rallies. ;) Check your email.
Post a Comment