Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pre-K

Here is my new dilemma. Asher obviously is going to Pre-K this year and as always it is new and exciting for him. Well, I don't know about other states, but Pre-K can range anywhere from $150-$500 a month. Yeah, I know it's crazy. The $150 a month ones are a co-op and I am so not doing that with Graham. I did my homework the best I could and found a Pre-K program at the community center here in Simi and it was only $170/month. I was pretty happy about that until now.

We had our parent orientation the other day and this is what I got out of it. Asher will be there for 2 1/2 hours 3Xs a week. That is great for me. But here is where I was concerned. The teacher has a whole program that she follows. First when the kids come they are left on a rug and on the rug they do months, days etc. etc. Then she sits them in desks for 1/2 hour to do work book stuff. Then they do other science bla bla stuff. All of you who know Asher , can you imagine him just sitting for a half hour working in a work book? Well, I can't. The teacher said that she treats this class like a kindergarten class. I can understand this. The curriculum in CA is a lot harder than other states so here the kids have to be reading small words in pre-k. Then the teacher said that she gives the kids two weeks to figure out the class rules then after that she has a board hanging in the front of the class. If the kids don't obey the class rules she will put the kids names on a huge frownie face and hang it on the board all week. And the day they get the frownie face, they have to stand under the board when I come to get him and tell me why he got it. I am an advocate of helping Asher learn to be responsible for there actions so by telling me what he did is ok. But putting his name on the bad boy board for a whole week and then making him stand under it when I come just brands him in my mind. But then again, maybe he will surprise us all and not ever be on the bad board.

Would you send your kid there? I talked to the teacher and told her I was concerned. If he was publicly humiliated it would end his desire to go to school. She said that he wouldn't have to stand under the board. That is better but he will still see his name on the bad board all week. Can you imagine what that would do to a child like Asher who feels sooooooo deeply and takes in everything.

I don't know how I feel right now. I can always take him out if there is a problem but then where would he go? I called a lady that I was referred to and she told me about another program that is free(can you believe) and Asher would go to this elementary school and he would be teamed up with a boy older than him that had some sort of physical disorder and they would learn together. I went and applied for that school but the lady said that it could take weeks to hear from them before they made a decision if Asher could go there.

So I am back at square one. Do I take him out of the first school and get my deposit back while I can or do I wait and send him to the first school and see how he does and then see if the other school calls? I know this needs to be a matter of prayer and discussion with Scotty but I just had to get everything out of my head so thanks for listening, or reading:) stay tuned for what happens!

10 comments:

Alli said...

It is so hard to decide what is best for your child. Finding a pre-school is always hard! I have been very lucky in the pre-schools that my kids have gone too! I hope you can figure things out and that everything will work out good! Good luck!!

Unknown said...

I didn't write my comment yesterday because I had to think about your situation. What a tough decision! I decided that I definitely don't like the idea of labeling good and bad kids. Maybe Asher will do better with the sitting when he's in a school setting though. I was wondering what your motivations for being against the co=op are? I am feeling really well generally, but I need to exercise more. Thanks for asking!

lisa g said...

You will know what to do. I'll I think that is they have how many years of schooling ahead of them I thought that pre-k was suppose to be fun. The teacher sounds a little okay a lot of a control freak. Sorry I just think that kids aren't always treated as kids. Good luck with the decision.

Sarah L. said...

Hey Shauna, The only reason why I don't want to do a co-op now is becuase I don't have anywhere to send graham for 3 1/2 hours when I have to go. Other wise I would do it:)

thebarrusfamily said...

When Ellie was 3 I put her in pre-K and she was totally not ready. She loved it at first but then cried every time I took her. So I took her out. She went the next year and loved it. I put Abbie in when she was 4 but had a bad experience there as well and took her out. I got a pre-K book and would spend some time every day with her on it so she was prepared for kindergarten. She was reading before she got to kindergarten and did very well. There wasn't really any difference in how well Abbie did vs. how well Ellie did.

I don't think pre-K makes that much of a difference academically if the parents are involved but probably does socially. But I feel that my kids work on their social skills at church and with their friends.

I'll probably send Noah to pre-k just because he wants to go and I think it's a good thing but I don't think it is TOTALLY necessary. But if it was my kid and I was worried about it being a bad experience for my son I would take him out and do it on my own.

That's my two bits. Take it or leave it.

kristib said...

I think pre-k is a hard decision. I'm struggling with that with my 4-yr. old right now too. No advice here. Anyway, I'd love to go to the museum if you're still up for it. Email me and let me know. kristib80 at yahoo

SCRAPPNMOM said...

Woooo, is all I have to say! That is horrible and that teacher should rethink her teaching skills. I am sorry but no kid should be treated like that. Yah, you have to take my little Asher out of there quick. Did you try Moorpark College?

Emily said...

I would so not go for that. Have you ever heard of Joy school? It is usually run by a group of moms and they take turns teaching. I have seen some moms take it pretty seriously and run a really great pre-school. Anyways, maybe you could ask around in your ward to see if anyone has heard of it or knows anyone doing it in your area.

CAMI said...

I only have a 2yr. old and we aren't anywhere near school age yet. (except for the learning in the home, of course). I don't feel comfortable with the thought of having my child have to deal with that. After all kids are still kids they are going to have bad days once in awhile but I don't think that they should have to suffer public humiliation for it- even if it is their name on the board for a whole week! She sounds a little harsh for a pre-K class. Especially with a personality like Asher. Talmage's personality actually reminds me a lot of Asher. Maybe that is why I feel sensitive to it and got on my soap box....sorry Love ya Good Luck

Wixom said...

I know you are a big "Love and Logic" parent. It works well with boys like my Ethan Thomas and your Asher. This program does not sound very love-and-logic-esque. As a rule, public humiliation is never a good thing. I teach 17 and 18-year olds and would never post their name for an entire week (!) with a frowny-face (!!). There are better ways. Especially at that age. Ethan is in a great program that embraces his crazy, too-inquisitive nature, but it costs an arm and a leg. Good luck!