Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Raising Kids

So this topic has come up like 10 times with in the last week. So I figured I would blog about it. My Asher is a crazy "spirited" child. I love him to death but he has been challenging from day 1. OK, maybe day 2. I really didn't know what to do with him. I was so frustrated and at the end of my rope many times and all I ended up doing was blowing up and being mean to him. Now really, what mom looks at their little baby and says, " I love you so much but when you are 2 I will be totally annoyed by you". Well, I was referred to a parenting class that I took. I loved the ideas of the class so I went out and bought the book. Well all I have to say is it has been a total transformation in my parenting style. I am calm and happy and I really enjoy raising my 3 year old. He is more secure because I really am in control of myself and I have the tools that help me with any situation that comes. Now Asher has his days that are still hard, but I have the tools to help me help him. We have been doing this for around a year and the theories are set that you can start anytime in the child's life and do it forever.

The book can be purchased on Amazon.com for around $20. The title of the book is "Parenting with Love and Logic" by Foster Cline and Jim Fay. The other book I like is "How to talk so Kids will listen, and listen so kids will talk" by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish. These two along with scripture study of parenting styles has really helped me with Asher. So if any of you are looking for some extra help, I promise you that you will love these books and theories. Good Luck

If anyone has questions about it seriously call me and I will give you examples and the back bone of the whole thing. 805-499-8340

8 comments:

thebarrusfamily said...

I took that same class about four years ago in Provo. It really helped me a lot as well. My house is still crazy though.

Erica said...

Thanks for the advice--that's what I love about blogs, we are all at home doing pretty much the same things, and it gives an outlet to share our tried-and-true ideas. I'm inspired--I'm going to buy that book!

Athanassios (Sakis) Salamanopoulos said...

well i think that sarah has way to much time available to keep up with the Labass blog. miss you all

Shawna said...

deal!!

ShaRee said...

I just bought Parenting w/Love and Logic, and there are a lot of good ideas that I am trying to learn now before Mya gets bigger. So we aren't expecting yet, but Graham is older than Mya... so when's YOUR next one coming?!? :)

T said...

Great post! I definitely want to check out these books, thanks for sharing. Thanks for your comments on our blog also, we love you guys!

Jill said...

I will have to check out the Love and logic book, I used their teaching one when I was teaching and loved it. We love the "talk-listen" book. I refer to it often. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Linda said...

Apparently this is a popular book! I went to check it out at the library (Mike says I have too many parenting books - I have to read and love it before I can buy any more). Anyways, there are 3 holds on it, so it will probably be May before I get my hands on it. I am looking forward to reading it though!